who we are
At First United Methodist Church, our mission is to “Invite, Equip, Engage” We strive to have this embedded in our lifestyles. We strive to have a welcoming communty, so we may "Invite" others to know Christ with us. Continually seeking opportunities to "Equip" our members through our Sunday Morning Worship, Sunday School, Small Groups, Children and Student Ministries. Through the will of God above and example of Christ we aim to "Engage" the world through missions in our community and surrounding areas, as well as a serving a Free Breakfast on Sunday Mornings for all who are hungry.
History of First United Methodist Church
First United Methodist Church was originally established in 1812 on the south-west corner of Main and Clay Streets. The original building was a small log structure, which was rebuilt as a one-story brick building in 1825. The new church was constructed at 121 South Mulberry Street.
In 1899, the Mulberry Street Church was completely destroyed by fire on Easter Sunday. The congregation watched as the church burned to the ground before their eyes. That morning, $100 was collected for missions service around the world. FUMC dedicated itself to trusting God and furthering the cause of Christ around the world.
Two years later, the current structure of FUMC was constructed on the corner of Franklin and Cherry Streets. 1956 and 1999 brought additional building space and renovations to the church building. In 2003 the First Place Christian Center was purchased. This facility was used for youth groups, contemporary worship services, and church-wide gatherings. In 2006 the inside of First Place was completely destroyed by fire and had to be rebuilt. It reopened in January 2007 and many ministries continue to thrive within its walls.